Space Intersects Internet: Into the Low Earth Orbit (LEO) Constellations Era
As we enter the 2020s, space and internet technologies are converging. We find ourselves at the dawn of a space Internet race. Technology giants like SpaceX, Softbank, Amazon, Google, Virgin, and Facebook will spend tens of billions of dollars over the next few years to launch, operate, and replace thousands of satellites in LEO. Well-capitalized and visionary entrepreneurs are shaking up the satellite industry with new LEO constellations offering terabytes of capacity at a fraction of cost previous satellite networks. The stakes are high not only for incumbent satellite operators, but also the broader Internet ecosystem including terrestrial and submarine network operators, wholesalers, and data centers owners.
This Space Internet workshop will feature expert insights and debate by ecosystem players on potential opportunities and competitive threats. Experts will share insights gained from hands-on experience in LEO deployments and panelists will debate technology and investment drivers including demand-side economics, research, regulations, and the potential interplay with 5G. Participants will leave the workshop equipped with the knowledge and perspectives needed to begin mapping out strategies for thriving in this new environment.
Main Topics of Discussion:
● Review of Space Internet (LEO focus) technologies and state of the art
● Key players, business drivers, research, investment, go-to-market strategies, and start up landscape
● Competitive threats and partnership opportunities: Telecom operators, Submarine, Data Centers
● LEO investments dynamics, space law considerations and demand side overview
Representation from LEO R&D teams, LEO constellation representatives, Space Agencies, LEO startups, TMT investors and law firms. Includes technology and business participants from Spain, France, US, Canada, UK, India, Japan, Korea, Russia, China, South Africa, etc. Some of the speakers will participate remotelymi.
(Format – 10mns speeches followed by discussion panel moderate by Dr. Hartani and Dr. Figuerola)
15:00 Welcome by Catalan Government Representative
15:05 – 15:10 Rationale and goals of the workshop, Dr. Sergi Figuerola, CTIO i2CAT, CTO 5GBarcelona
15:10 – 15:30 Keynote opening: Dr. Riad Hartani, Xona Partners
15:30 – 16:15 Where are we on LEO
✔ Ongoing initiatives globally and review of state of the art: LEO constellations in review
✔ LEO business models/ market segments and market approach: 5G, IoT, backhaul, wholesale, retail, GEO
1. “Nano/SmallSats: Current trends in Scientific & Communications Missions”. Prof. Adriano Camps, UPC
2. “5G/IoT for satellite in 3GPPP” Prof. Ramon Ferrus UPC with collaboration of Sateliot
3. “LEO Network architect”, Dr. Vishal Sharma, Metanoia, Inc.
4. “Constellations and Space missions”, Rafel Jordà, Founder & CEO OpenCosmos
16:15 – 16:30 Coffee Break
16:30 – 17:15 LEO technology and deployment challenges. ✔ LEO technology challenges (network): connectivity ground/space, ISL, control plane for space segments, QoS, cybersecurity, orchestration end to end network, DC/Content/Connectivity on ground segment, terminals…)
✔ LEO technology challenges (satellites): chipsets, radios, payload.
1. “Orchestration of integrated LEO satellite components in 5G networks and beyond”. Dr. Pouria Khodashenas, Senior Researcher & Innovation Strategy Manager, H2020 CARAMEL PI, i2CAT
2. “Internet of Satellites: Challenges and Opportunities”. Joan Adrià Ruiz de Azúa, PhD Candidate. UPC
3. “Challenges deploying 5G/IoT from space”, Jaume Sanpera, Sateliot CEO & Co-founder
4. “Open Challenges in Earth Observation” Dr. Juan Fernando Marchan, ICGC.
17:15 – 18:00 – Getting into LEO large scale deployments: legal, funding and business considerations
✔ LEO end to end business models and funding models
✔ LEO regulatory aspects, legal aspects
1. “Regulation challenges in LEO constellations” Rafael Harillo, Space Law Firm
2. “Space Law Challenges”, Nick Roudev, Simons & Simmons
3. “LEO opportunities: Africa Demand side perspective”, Dion Jerling, ConnectEarth
4. “Space Internet and Venture Capital”, luke Maloney, Space Fund
18:00 – 18:15 – Key conclusions and next steps
18:15 -18:40 – Mission design demo hands on workshop
✔ Mission design demo explanation with beeApp/beeKit, Aleix Megías – VP of Programmes, OpenCosmos
✔ Bring your laptop and design and simulate your own mission with beeApp, Daniel Sors – Head of Customer Success, OpenCosmos